Sunday, May 6, 2012

With the 3 questions in mind I had to come up with a game plan.  I wanted to know what is out there in our forests and anything about Big Foot.  Thank goodness for google.  Just a few key words and my journey of discovery began. 

I found websites with sighting reports.  I was hooked.  I have read hundreds of them.  I had 3 categories about the sightings.  Unbelievable, not sure and credible.  The criteria was applied to all that I read.  2/3's of the sighting fell into unbelievable and not sure.  The rest were credible because they were law enforcement, firemen, biologists/scientist, rangers and hunters/guides.  What do you do with the 1/3 of the sightings that are credible?  This is not 1 or 2 but many, many more.  Maybe hundred +.

I went to my local library to look for any information on any old stories on a hermit/recluse, ghost in the hills or monster.  I hit pay dirt!  In the local paper in the 1950's there was a Plum Creek Monster that fits the description of Big Foot.  I also found 2 other monster reports dating from the late 1800's  and 1970's.  All had the same characteristics: hairy, BIG and upright.  Another common point is Pike National Forest.

We have oral history about the wild man in the mountains from many of the Native American cultures.  I don't know about you but I know that the Native Americans are experts about their surroundings and who lives there.  Many had special names for them and would not go into their known areas.  There was a reason for the Native Americans to revere and fear them.  They lived with them hundreds of years before we came with our guns and superior attitude.

We have written journals from Spanish explorers, American explorers and early settlers that commented on inhabitants in the mountains, huge barefoot prints in the dead of winter and ungodly sounds in the middle of the night.  These are people who are adept in the wilderness.

Stuff like this made me think and ask myself more questions.  Are people programed to think that they are seeing monsters which some so called experts say happens in every culture?  Or maybe they heard, saw something they can't explain?  Or maybe they imagined it?  I don't know about you but when someone tells me that I am only imagining what I saw, it diminishes your character.

Just trying to get the background on Big Foot has been enlightening and addictive.  I thought Big Foot was something from the 1960's.  It is amazing what a little research will find.  

No comments:

Post a Comment